Friday, March 12, 2010

Honey

The past two days have been some what of a challenge for Ana as she's been doing a lot of coughing. With her having asthma it doesn't help matters. Last night her cough medicine nor the inhaler were working so I had to do some research to figure out how I could get this girl to stop coughing adn so we could all get some sleep. What I found out was very interesting. Here's this clip from the Mayo Clinic:

"Now researchers are studying honey as a cough suppressant. In a 2007 study, children ages 2 and older with upper respiratory tract infections were given up to 2 teaspoons (10 milliliters) of honey at bedtime. The honey seemed to reduce nighttime coughing and improve sleep. In fact, in the study, honey appeared to be as effective as the cough suppressant dextromethorphan in typical over-the-counter doses."


After reading this I thought I had to at least give it a try. As soon as Ana heard that honey was like sugar she was all for it. I gave it to her at 9:30PM and she was asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow. She didn't cough until 4AM. At 4AM, I gave her some Motrin for her fever and another teaspoon of honey and she was back to sleep in no time. She didn't start coughing again til 9AM! Problem solved...at least while she's sleeping. Not only did she get a good nights rest but the rest of the family did to!

2 comments:

Aimee Miller said...

That's awesome, Meggan! I use a homeopathic cough syrup called Children's Chestal. It's made with honey (I've used it for myself and the girls and it works great!). I hadn't thought to use plain honey, though. I guess that's a bit cheaper, isn't it? :-)

Anonymous said...

Nice dispatch and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you as your information.

Swidget 1.0

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Powered By Blogger

Bob's Motivational Tip 1

Dolvette